IsraAID Debris Removal
IsraAID mobilizes emergency response teams to disasters in the U.S. Our team includes U.S. & Israel-based disaster response specialists. We support local communities in home recovery and debris removal and assessing long-term needs.
This is your opportunity to join forces and make a difference when needed. Communities across North America find themselves in distress when disaster strikes. Join IsraAID's volunteers from Israel, when local disasters hit in the U.S.!
Sign up to join IsraAID’s relief on the ground to assist local communities to remove debris, clean out damaged homes, help residents sift through the wreckages of their homes and salvage belongings.
Make a significant difference with a team of professionals from Israel. Become a professional volunteer!
IsraAID’s Emergency Response Team:
Cleaning and debris removal are crucial tasks in disaster recovery, which enable homeowners to begin the rehabilitation from a disaster and to avoid major health and hygiene issues.
Home owners are often overwhelmed by the amount of work and financial needs to rebuild their homes. Part of IsraAID’s work offsets the costs and time required to complete these tasks, which in return clears time for completing other tasks in their path to recovery. Furthermore, the loss of people's homes can lead them into a downward spiral of despair and depression. The work we do helps homeowners create a positive momentum towards recovery and rebuilding their homes.
Criteria to join:
- U.S. Citizenship (mandatory)
- Passion to help and make a difference
- Physically and mentally fit to work in harsh environments in disaster zones
- Age limit: 21 - 65 years old
- Complete a core operation training with IsraAID before deployment (participate in an IsraAID disaster preparedness webinar)
- Sign a volunteer agreement
- Have active health insurance
- Join on the field for at least 5 full days of volunteer work
- Limited to individuals with a residency in the USA (due to insurance limitations)
- Please consider a tax deductible donation of $180 to help offset costs
- If you are based in Israel and interested in joining, please click here to sign up to IsraAID's roster
What are the requirements to join? What if I’ve never done this before?
Please see criteria to join above. Previous experience working after a natural disaster is preferred but not required. The IsraAID team will provide a webinar training to prepare volunteers to work on the field. It is mandatory to join a webinar prior to deployment.
Does it cost money?
No. Costs have been subsidized by private donors and partners including JFNA (Jewish Federations of North America). Flights will be booked and paid for by IsraAID. At each given location, team members and volunteers will be lodging together at facility organized before your trip. Food and transportation will be provided. No stipends are provided. We don’t reimburse for any additional expenses.
What do I need to bring with me?
Boots, cargo pants, long sleeve shirt, towel, and toiletries.
We provide tools and personal protective equipment.
How do I sign up?
How long is a typical volunteer experience?
Minimum 5 full days can be up to 2-3 weeks; subject to the needs in the field.
How much money will I need to bring with me?
You will need money to cover your own personal costs. Some examples include: laundry and meals on your days off.
What are the health requirements?
We require volunteers to be up to date on their tetanus vaccination. We expect volunteers to be physically and emotionally fit to do strenuous physical labor in challenging conditions in disaster- affected areas.
Are there any terms and conditions?
Yes. You will be sent a copy for review and sign prior to deployment.
What are the accommodations?
Accommodations vary by program and community we work in.
I am interested in volunteering but not available in the next month?
Please register and join our professional debris removers’ roster and our webinars to be announced, thus in future situations you will be contacted to join.
Learn more about IsraAIDs response to local disasters in the U.S.:
- Israeli aid group rushes to help flooded Houston - Times of Israel
- As floodwaters recede, Israeli disaster aid is in Houston for the long haul - Times of Israel
- US hurricane victims welcome Israeli aid workers - Israel21C
Listen to IsraAID’s Head of U.S. Disasters Emergency Response, Niv Rabino’s interview about IsraAID’s work with Hurricane Harvey: Niv's interview